Remember life is never promised and you have to live day by day. Life can change at any time.

"It's a trip, you know? When you're a kid, you-you see the life you want, and it never crosses your mind that it's not gonna turn out that way." -Love & Basketball

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Soundtrack to My Life

If my life were a movie, what would be the background music? Well, I've picked three tracks that don't exactly sum up my life, but they do relate to my life in some way. If I took the chance to listen to songs lyrics more often, I am sure I could relate to almost every song in some way, but for now here's a few songs...





Track 1 : "Home" By Michael Buble


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/michaelbuble/home.html

Coming out of high school, I envisioned going away to school and meeting new people. I applied to one school, called Rowan University in New Jersey and I got accepted. When I went to orientation in 2010, I hated the school. I immediately started to cry my eyes out with the thoughts of staying there alone without my family or my boyfriend of two years. As Michael Buble says:


Sisters <3
That is how I felt in an instant and I realized my family means to much to me for me to leave them so soon. Looking back at how much I would've missed, I am so glad to have been home these last two years. But, now I think I'm ready to break out. Well, maybe.

I knew my boyfriend supported me 100% because my dream was to go away and be all I can be on my own, but at the same time I could see he wanted me to stay because he could not come with me.


Track 2 : "Superwoman" by Alicia Keys

http://www.metrolyrics.com/superwoman-lyrics-alicia-keys.html


Life seems to throw a lot at me at different times. At one point my best friend, who was a boy, became a stranger to me because his girl friend hated me for being his friend. Another time my best friend got a boyfriend and seemed to forget that I existed. I spent a lot of time alone in high school because of this and even though I felt weak and hurt, I prevailed. I was nice to the ones who hated me and always stayed friends with the ones who forgot about me until I realized I didn't need any of them and that I was my own person who could stand alone. 

Sitting around this fire pit one evening my drunk brother and my sister's boyfriend, also drunk explained to everyone how nice of a person I am and how they would harm anyone if they hurt me. People say the truth comes out when you're drunk and I believed every word they said. I cried because I realized I am a superwoman and I always will be because I live for me and don't worry about anyone else. 
When people put me down, I reply with kindness, because I always find the strength in me. It makes me feel great that they are angry because I won't fall to their level. 
Also, my 3-year-old niece is my superwoman:

She was flying at birth. Watch out, she is the future.


Track 3 : "Can You Stand the Rain" by New Edition

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/n/new+edition/can+you+stand+the+rain_20099613.html



One night my boyfriend, Bernard Holloman Jr., took my laptop out of my hands and went to this song on youtube because I had never heard it before and he was outraged. He sang to me. I know I cry a lot, as you have noticed from reading above, but I cried. It was the sweetest thing I had ever heard. I immediately looked up the lyrics and added the song to my playlist.


I realized when he sang these lyrics that I wanted to stand by him through the good and bad times and how much he meant to my life. 


"Tell me baby, Can you stand the rain?"
My answer to that is yes; yes I can. 




1 comment:

  1. I really love that you used pictures of you and your life as well as the song lyrics. This is really well done and shows your personal connection to the songs well.

    ReplyDelete